Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Driscoll Lawn

New light breaks on nascent morn

As I circumambulate Driscoll Lawn,

I could walk this circle for hours,

Listening to my feet move in symmetry,

My old shoes on the red brick metronome

Squeaking their tranquil rhythm,

To coax my mind to and fro,

Like a playful game of tug-o-war.


In shadows of fraternities

That sleep off drunken revelries,

Here I am the lone lawn gnome

Drinking warmth of first light alone.

I watch the past and future fight

Sky-wrestling before my lifted eyes,

For yesternight is a lingering dream,

A firmament of simplicity,

An evanescent memory,

Like the black fading into light,

Carried on feathered wings of time,

Through spinning chaotic spheres

Toward an elegant uncertainty.

But here I see fingers of divinity

Tracing patterns in the stars above,

Compelling cryptic reminders

Of a quiet, distant hope to come.

No comments: